Monday 8 December 2008

Back from KL

When I was younger, I used to wonder why we moved to Penang. It puzzled me a great deal, I think, because why would you move away from the most happening metropolitan city in the country? Why wouldn't you want to be part of the drama and the hype of the ibu kota?

This time going to KL, I think I've finally found my answer. KL is great, but the traffic jams would drive any sane man crazy within two days. Cars are parked anywhere, litter is everywhere, pedestrians cross the road without using the traffic lights for them. The activity of KL is  enough to drown you, and quite a couple of times, I wished I were back in Penang.

We went to Malacca too, and the area we stayed in (near our uncle's) was a lovely place. It was quiet, yes, but it still upkept the cleanliness of roads and shopping malls. Malacca is to KL the way Botanical Gardens is to Penang Road. I mean it.

In the end, the best place to live in would be Penang. I don't know if I'm saying that because I'm biased, or because I've lived here the longest, or because compared to other towns Penang is the perfect in-between. I just know this: Home has never felt so sweet.