Monday 4 August 2008

The un-fun part turns around

Voila. I never thought I'd ever say this, but ahem - Physics and Chemistry are fun! Looks like the mantra worked, albeit taking some time. However, I really need to put in more effort for Sejarah and Biology. I know, the tables are completely turned.

Saras - It's cute lah, seriously. LoL. Though I'm very lost in the chatbox part, haha. Blurrr-ness.

TJ - Oh, so it's DE TJ eh? Loads more grand, I assure you, though TJ just so much easier to type. And as much as I respect your views, your perspective towards the world of literature is just... sad. Almost sardonic. LoL

Hooi Ping - Booooooon! I always wake up early! Haha. And yes, Second Glance is getting so gripping! OMG, let me know what you think after you're done with it!

Tabby - Granted, he died for his art, but - pardon me for my seeming lack of sensitivity - isn't a good actor supposed to able to detach himself from his own character? Wouldn't an elite actor be able to differentiate reality from fantasy? Hm.

A few authors/writers I like to read:

Mary Shneider ( Star paper column 'But then again' )

Kevin Cowherd ( Star paper column 'Don't get me started' )

Marian Keyes ( author of Further Under the Duvet, etc )

Jodi Piccoult ( author of Second Glance, My Sister's Keeper, etc )

J K Rowling ( need I say more? )

Cathy Kelly ( author of Best of Friends, Lessons in Heartbreak, etc )

Meg Cabot ( author of The Mediator series )

Enid Blyton ( children's author )

The above are amongst the top authors / writers that I both respect and whose works I enjoy (or have enjoyed, for that matter) immensely. Do note that the order of which I have typed their names is no indication whatsoever of the degree to which I like their pieces.

Shneider, Cowherd and Keyes use an element of sarcasm to their benefit, and their works are a lovely way to end any evening. Cathy Kelly writes grown-up fictions, though I cannot deny that I find her plot somewhat repetitive. Meg Cabot is, in my humble opinion, extremely versatile, having written The Princess's Diaries as well as stories that are set in the 1800s.

I have to admit that I need quite some time to adjust to a particular writer's style, and it often depends on my present mood should I rate a novel or article as 'excellent' or simply 'one-star'.

I have read: 

Nora Roberts - Blood Brothers, though I didn't find it a life-changing novel.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert (recommended by Oprah) - it's good, though it's more the self-help type.

Virgin, Vegan and Valentine - by Carolyn Mackler - sarcastic, but slightly... erm... disturbing.

The V Club - Can't remember who wrote this. Read it in F3, I think? Not bad actually.

Naughtiest Girl series - Enid Blyton. Used to love these!

Malory Towers series - Enid Blyton. Used to love these too!

Undead and Unwed - Can't remember who the writer is. A bit narcisstic, though well, it isn't exactly polite.

That's all for today, I think. OMG. I so need to finish Maths.